Tuesday 6 November 2012

Kenyans and politics

Politics and Kenyans,
I do not watch Kenyan TV and I do not listen Kenyan Radio. I read Nation online. I do not discuss Kenyan politics with others on a daily basis!
Although I am not engaged to Kenyan news as much I seem to be followed by politics on social media. As per my face book, I think 60% of the status update relate to either politics or tribal new/updates.
I have never voted in Kenya in my life, and I am not sure if I will ever do it, but I think most of us approach politics emotionally and not logically.
I mean looking at the activity on my face book ( over 60% of my FB Friends are Kenyan) is all to do with American elections. I do not even have American friend on FB at all....so the activity is surely coming from the Kenyan. Why do Kenyans care so much about the American election? Would they care as much if Obama wasn’t part of it?
I mean, the American election is important to the rest of the world...but the rest of the world is not personalising the elections as the Kenyans seems to be.
Back to Kenyan politics...I got a friend who is under 30, unmarried and without children. I watched a clip where the interviewer ( an older guy) Was asking her alongside other 2 ladies who were married with children, why she is not married. I mean what is the relevance of marriage and children for a politician?
In my view, it really does not matter what height, marital status, number of children etc you have as long as you have the right ideologies to be a politician. But then again we live in a country where most people have got very static views and opinions and are not open to new ideologies. Of course this affects our political views
Anyway, got no vote and I am not in politics. I hope Obama wins again as it is a repeat of an important history for the Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment